This blog post is sponsored by BMO ESG ETFs
The pandemic has forced many people to work from home. This can pose a challenge for people like me who are running a global business as travel is no longer possible. Well, the impact on me is less than you might think. Many people assume that I must be a globetrotter. This is anything but true. In the past few years, I have made a conscious decision to travel only when it is absolutely necessary. Even before the pandemic, airlines do not consider me as a top-tier frequent traveler anymore because I have already been using phone or video calls whenever I could to do my part to save the planet.
However, the unintended consequence is that I am glued to my electronic devices all the time. Although this is only natural as I run a digital business, if I could, I would always try to escape from the screens and be close to nature for a few minutes during a break.
This is one of the advantages of living in Toronto. Despite being the largest city in Canada, the large amount of green space has led to some people describing the city as a ‘city within a park.’ For us to continue to enjoy nature, I believe it is our collective responsibility to protect the environment and live a sustainable lifestyle. Not only do we have to battle with global warming, we also have to choose between planet or plastic. For example, I try to avoid single-use plastic whenever possible. The coffee that I drink is mostly fair trade, organic and it is filled in a reusable cup.
When choosing my investments, I would also like to invest my savings in a sustainable way. I believe companies should be held accountable for good management and sustainable business practices. That’s why I am excited to know that BMO has launched seven ESG (environmental, social and governance) ETFs, including the first balanced ESG ETF (ZESG) in Canada, to empower its customers to invest their savings in a sustainable way. These seven funds include:
- BMO Balanced ESG ETF (ZESG): The first ESG asset allocation ETF in Canada, providing a one ticket low cost solution that includes both major equity markets and fixed income securities through a balanced asset allocation of 60 per cent equity and 40 per cent fixed income exposure.
- BMO MSCI Global ESG Leaders Index ETF (ESGG)
- BMO MSCI Canada ESG Leaders Index ETF (ESGA)
- BMO MSCI EAFE ESG Leaders Index ETF (ESGE)
- BMO MSCI USA ESG Leaders Index ETF (ESGY): These ETFs deliver ESG exposure by following the best in class approach of the MSCI ESG Leaders Indexes, while capturing market returns, by targeting the top 50 per cent ESG rated equities within sectors and industries, while excluding severe controversies and industries such as alcohol, gambling, tobacco, and weapons.
- BMO ESG Corporate Bond Index ETF (ESGB)
- BMO ESG US Corporate Bond Hedged to CAD Index ETF (ESGF): These ETFs invest in investment grade corporate bond fixed income issuers that have the highest MSCI ESG Ratings.
Every individual’s situation is different and hence the risk profile is different. These seven ESG ETFs deliver a full range of investment solutions across broad markets. From Canadian to global markets, from bond to equity, BMO has it all covered, which means we should be able to find one or more ETFs that align with both our financial and social values.